Type of Degree
Type of Program
General University Information
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (also known as UNC, UNC-Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, or simply Carolina) is a public research university located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States. First enrolling students in 1795, it is one of the multiple schools to claim the title of the oldest public university in the United States. UNC is recognized as one of the original eight Public Ivy league schools and a member of the prestigious American Association of Universities since 1922.
The MHA is a professional degree for students wishing to pursue management careers in health systems, hospitals, consulting firms, managed care organizations, insurance firms, non-governmental organizations, medical group practices, government agencies and other settings. The MHA degree is designed to provide strong preparation in the management disciplines, a comprehensive understanding of the healthcare sector, experiential elements, and an opportunity to pursue an area of concentration. All students will enter the program with some work experience; those choosing to continue full-time work are counseled to study in the distance program.
The intended outcome for those working full-time, and for those who bring more management experience to either the residential or distance program, is postgraduate employment in the health care industry with more, or more significant, management responsibility than that held previously. For those in either the residential or distance program with more limited management experience, the intended outcome is a responsible health care management position, which for some of those who already hold full-time positions may entail a change of organization.
- An undergraduate degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher (4.0 grading scale)
- GRE or GMAT scores in the top 50th percentile are required. Scores must not be more than five years old. Students applying to the MPH program who have obtained a doctoral degree from a U.S. or Canadian university are exempted from the GRE/GMAT requirement.
- Relevant work experience.
- Applicants are advised to prepare in microeconomics, accounting, and statistics.
- International applicants are required to submit a Financial Certificate.
- Applicants to the MPH Program are required to have a doctoral degree or be enrolled in a doctoral program (most commonly dentistry, law, or medicine).
Chapel Hill, NC